Questions and answers

It is rare that we prioritise a case because it is the start of studies or compulsory attendance at the course. There has to be something quite special in your case for it to be processed ahead of others in the queue. If you believe there is something special in your case that means we should prioritise it, you can send us a written explanation for this.

UNE has not suspended the duty to return to Russia. This means that if you have had your application for a residence permit rejected and do not have a case pending in UDI or UNE, you are obliged to return to Russia.

If you are in Norway and do not have a case pending in UDI or UNE, you can request that UNE reconsiders your case (request for reversal). If you request such a reversal, and are granted a deferred implementation, you are allowed to stay in Norway until your case has been reassessed. 

UNE is closely monitoring the situation in Russia, and makes concrete, individual assessments of the question of return in each case.

We aim to give you a reply within three weeks. Sometimes it can take longer. You will be told how long we expect it to take at the end of the board hearing. We will send the reply to your lawyer. If it takes a long time, you can phone your lawyer.

No. You must write to us in Norwegian or English.

If you believe that there is an error in the decision, that can have had a bearing on the result, you can read about your options on our page If you disagree with UNE’s decision.

We will send the decision to your lawyer or the person you’ve given the power of attorney. It is their duty to explain the contents of the decision to you. If you don’t have a lawyer or have given someone power of attorney, we will send the decision to you. Then you must familiarise yourself with the contents of the decision.

If we need more information to decide a case, we’ll ask for the information to be sent to us. However, it is your duty to provide the necessary documents in your case. That may mean that we will not ask you to send us documents you should already have submitted to UDI or to us. See the checklists at to find out which documents must be enclosed in the different types of cases.

We write our decisions in Norwegian to applicants who live in Norway. If you live abroad and you do not have a person you’ve given power of attorney to in Norway, we will write the decision in English. We normally don’t translate our decisions into other languages.

No, we do not send decisions by email. That is because no one but you should have access to the information in your case. Read more about how we send the reply to you, on this page.

Yes, you can request access to your case documents. This must be done in writing. Visit our Contact UNE page.

If you have previously provided information to the UDI or the police, you do not need to send us the documents again. UNE has access to the same documents as the UDI and the police. If we have any questions, we will contact you or the person you’ve given power of attorney.

Whom you can talk to and what type of answer you might get, depends on the type of case and how far in consideration the case has come. In certain cases it may be the case officer, in other cases it may be the service desk. Beware that most of our case processing is in writing. If you have something important you wish to inform us about, it’s best you write to us. On our Contact UNE page you will find our address and phone number.


Your case will be assigned a case officer when it is ready for consideration. You will normally not be notified when a case officer has been assigned to your case. If we need more information about your case, we will contact you or the person you’ve given the power of attorney.

We register and read all the information that is sent to us. Any new information you send is archived together with your case and all documents we already have. This means that when your case is considered, the case officer will have access to all documents in the case.

We seldom prioritise cases just because someone has asked us to do so. There must be something quite exceptional about the case. If you think your case is exceptional and requires prioritising send us a written explanation.