1. You must read the decision carefully

The decision always states why the UDI rejected your application. If it states that something is missing, you can send it to us. We will then look at what you have sent and consider whether it changes your case.

2. You can ask for help

The Norwegian authorities will pay for a lawyer in some cases. The UDI will notify you if this applies to you. In all other cases, you are not provided a lawyer free of charge. You must then pay for your lawyer yourself.

Some organisations can also help you if you have difficulties finding a lawyer yourself. Examples of such organisations are:

NOAS (the Norwegian Organisation for Asylum Seekers)
SEIF ('Self-help for immigrants and refugees’)
JURK (legal advice for women)

If you want someone other than a lawyer to represent you, they must send a letter of authorisation to UNE. An authorisation, also called Power of Attorney, is a confirmation that the other person is entitled to see all the documents in your case and follow up the case on your behalf.

3. If you have moved, you must notify the police where you live

If you do not give notification of your new address, your application may be rejected.

4. It is important that UNE knows who you are

It will benefit your case if you send us identity documents from your home country, preferably a valid passport. If you do not have identity documents from your home country, you must write to us and explain why. Your application may be rejected if you have submitted incorrect information about who you are.

5. If you have new information about your case, you must send it to us

UNE’s case processing is done in writing. This means that you, or your lawyer/representative, must submit information to us in writing. We cannot accept information about your case by phone. Some information, such as health information, must be documented.